(Minus one here because I couldn’t find a good pic of one of the albums!)
The Moment I Post This, I’ll Want To Redo It
The meme says “10,” and I don’t want to be That Person and dial it up to 11, or do a second set of 11-20.
Which made this ridiculously hard.
And also makes me want to change my mind on the above.
Until I change my mind, here is my list.
Obligatory note: Some of these albums came around earlier but kept on influencing. Also, there should be a megaton of rhythm’n’blues here, but my dad has more 45s than LPs and I’d never finish this list. (Consider them here anyway).
10 Albums That Influenced The Hell Out Of My Teenage Years
- Blondie – Eat To the Beat (video album)
- Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Too-Rye-Ay (because I heard “Jackie Wilson Said” on The Young Ones)
- 50 Greatest Moments In Opera (3-disc set)
- The Cure – Mixed Up
- Phantom of the Opera – Original London Cast – Listen to me singing “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.”
- Bowie – Changesbowie
- Johnny Clegg – Best of Johnny Clegg & Savuka – can’t find the full album yet on YouTube, but do listen to the beauty of “Asimbonanga,” and the song that first got me in, “Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World.”
- Enya – Shepherd Moons. And you won’t want to miss her Maxfield Parrish-inspired video for “Caribbean Blue.”
- Metallica – Kill ‘Em All
- Tommy James & the Shondells – Anthology. Not finding the whole album yet either, but try this one that you don’t hear often: “One Two Three And I Fell.”
What’s your 10?