I kind of never got to this until now. So I’m starting early this year.
The Grateful Challenge
The challenge is this: Set a timer for 10 minutes and write down all of the things you’re grateful for—or things that you love—as fast as you can. Don’t worry about the order; the goal is to get to 99!
I didn’t make it to 99. I made it to 39, but so did Jack Benny, so that’s okay. I blame technology. I did not, however, worry about the order, so I’ve got that going for me.
Here’s what I’ve got, and I look forward to seeing your lists, too!
AT THIS VERY MOMENT, I AM GRATEFUL FOR…
- My elm tree.
- Teddy Pigg.
- The moon.
- Writing when I should be writing because I want to be writing.
- The moment I discovered I could sing.
- My husband.
- Driving around exploring new places.
- That intoxicating, interwoven scent of lilacs & lilies of the valley that hits me around February when it’s months too soon for either.
- That old book scent thankfully not adding itself to the growing list of Things That Make Me Sneeze.
- Set of 1939 Book of Knowledge encyclopedias that take you through a journey on every page.
- Making my friends collapse in laughter. Collapsing in laughter in turn.
- Markers and colored pencils and coloring books, oh my!
- Coming home one day to see my easel already set up and supplies within reach.
- Fallout 4 because it’s my current brain-candy drug.
- Singing our made-up songs about animals.
- Hot chocolate with cinnamon because I saw it on Once Upon a Time and am now hooked.
- The fact that the best steak I ever have, ever, is made by my husband.
- Grandfather clocks (my dreams about them stopped only when I finally got one).
- Remembering to look up at the stars.
- Catching the moon when it’s just the sliveriest sliver of a moon.
- Continuing to crusade in my own way against animal abuse and general boneheadedness of humanity-toward-animals.
- Milk chocolate peanut butter cups. Make that spicy peanut butter. Specifically from here.
- Discovering new restaurants that prove to be awesome restaurants.
- Chicken pot pies. Can’t resist ’em. Don’t want to resist ’em.
- My mom and dad.
- The world of difference it made when I bought my own bicycle myself.
- The equal world of difference it made when I bought my own comfy recliner.
- Having friends over to our house for a change because a) we finally cleaned it and b) we need to have people over because it’s awesome.
- Hanging out at a local watering hole that feels like a personal Cheers.
- Old movies that remind me of Saturday afternoons when I’d watch them with my dad.
- My red Agent Carter hat from The Hen House.
- Logic puzzles.
- Grilled cheese even though dairy refuses to agrees with me anymore.
- Jack Benny, George Burns, Bob Hope & Bing Crosby, Vincent Price…
- Stripes. On clothes, purses, objects, even zebras.
- All my awesome friends.
It might be a good idea to do other types of lists throughout the year; even as I ran out of steam (and time) for this list, I thought of all sorts of different kinds of things to be grateful for. And that’s not a bad way to start out the year!